Pages

Sunday 7 July 2013

Mum on the Run - Running away from that tricky issue of bikini buying.

This weekend has found me in all sorts of surreal situations. It started off on Saturday when I was at a cheerleading competition in Bournemouth. Loud music, flashing lights and about 1000 screaming girls all before 9am was just a bit too much by way of sensory overload.  As our daughter wasn't competing until 11am I took myself off into the town where I found myself trying on bikinis, which frankly was even scarier than the cheerleading competition.

After that I headed to Claire's Accessories as I needed some "fashion" tape, so that I could stick my dress to myself to avoid flashing my assets to the world. The assistant in there looked at me like I was bonkers when I explained what I was after, despite having just served four men who were buying pink tutus, blonde wigs and fairy wings to wear to the beach without batting an eyelid. Anyway, I finally found what I was looking for in the lingerie department at M&S.

So, back to the bikinis. After baby number 3, I decided that a bikini would never be something that I would wear again, so I parted with all of mine. However I prefer a bikini under a wet suit and as we are off to Cornwall next Monday I thought I ought to at least investigate them.

Never one to spend hours on searching for something (unless it's for someone else) the Evita and Eva (blue) bikinis from White Stuff found me last week.


I felt that the shape of the bikini top could offer the requisite support and uplift required and I like a bit of a 1950's nod. The online reviews were good and so having located a top in our local store, my husband has kindly offered - OK agreed under duress, to make a trip there this week to collect it.



I have already secured the bottoms, which in fairness (to them) didn't look as bad as I thought that they would. Sometimes I think that the desire for additional coverage results in a granny pant kind of bikini bottom, whereas a briefer one is actually more flattering. No, it wasn't something I believed either but it's true. I'd draw the line at a thong - in fact I'd draw the line way before a thong. I'd probably draw the line at a string tie at the side but that's partly because I'd be worried that it would come undone.


Despite it having a different name, I am pretty sure that the Eva is the same style.


The only difficulty with this bikini top is that it doesn't come in a cup size, so unless your back and bust size are a standard size 10, 12 etc, the fit may not be right. Having tried the 8, I know that it's too small in the cup but the 10 may be too wide around my back - so I'm just waiting to see how it all comes together after Mr SG has been to collect the top this week. Bless him!

On my journey through Bournemouth trying to find my "fashion tape" I came across the Kelly Brook range in New Look. I had a quick peruse of the collection and thought that it came in a good range of cup sizes. The top below comes in a size 32B to 36F, although there is also a 34G, so it may be that there is a 36G too, which is pretty impressive, especially for its £16.99 price tag.  Being designed for a slightly younger market, I found the bottoms a bit too Betty Boo and frilly for my liking. In fact I could imagine the kids having a good old laugh if I turned out wearing the bikini bottoms designed to go with the top, so instead I matched the top with a plain pair of turquoise £3.99 bikini bottoms from New Look.


There are of course hundreds of brands that sell swimwear, with M&S, Boden, Bravissimo, Sea Folly and Speedo all having good ranges. It's very much a case of trying on and seeing how you feel on the day and of course the magazines are always awash at this time of year with guides as to which shape bikini suits which figure.  The comfort of trying on in your own home is always a good option, where at least you have control over the lighting/mirror/time of day that you try things on.  Whether my White Stuff bikini comes good remains to be seen. As for the New Look one, let's just say that there's a little issue of sizing to be resolved. And possibly shape. I think it's probably best if I leave it there for now!